Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bill Frisell, Paul Motian, Ron Carter


We made a quick dash to New York last Saturday night to catch Bill Frisell's trio with Paul Motian and Ron Carter at the Blue Note. Though I prefer the more driving style of the Frisell trio manifestations I've seen with Ken Wollesen on drums, I liked Motian's ability to play give-and-take with Frisell and Carter, and Carter's bass playing was mesmerizing.

Frisell, as always, amazed me. That distinct sound and style that somehow stays taut and plays loose at the same time. He kept the loop effects to a minimum--I like the effects, but holding them in check did make them even more powerful.

A Sunday morning train ride got us back down to the Philly area to watch the Eagles' game at my parents' house--NFC Championship Game, here we come.

No comments: